Move to main text
日本語 | English | 简体字 | 繁体字 | 한국어

Myohoji Temple

Myohoji Temple[Myohoji]
A temple founded by a disciple of Nichiren Shonin who visited the area. Founded in 1278. There are cultural properties such as "Thirtieth Shrine" and "Myohoji Kuri". "Myohojiki", which describes in detail the state of the northern foot of Mt. Fuji during the Warring States period, is a valuable record for historical researchers.

Access

From Kawaguchiko Station, take the Retro Bus Saiko / Aokigahara Line and get off at "Kawaguchiko Muse Museum Entrance". 1 minute walk towards Mt. Fuji.

highway

  • Chuo Expressway
    About 4.5km from Kawaguchiko IC, about 24.3km from Ichinomiya Misaka IC, about 35km from Kofu Minami IC
  • Higashifuji Five Lakes Road
    About 4.5km from Fujiyoshida IC
  • Tomei Expressway
    About 51km from Fuji IC

Bus route

  • Saiko Tour Bus: Kawaguchiko Muse Hall Entrance

Genre of tourist facilities / activities

Facility information
Pets allowed: Not allowed

Other

Remark 1

In Bunei 5(1268), when Nichiren Shonin visited the area for the mission of the Lotus Sutra, and then in first year of Kouan (1278), he visited Kotate again. He became a disciple and founded Myohoji Temple in Okunoin Hokkado.

Remark 2

In Einin 3(1295), he moved to Kawakubo (currently the temple residence), and a few years later he moved to his current location.

Remark 3

It is a historical temple opened by Nichiren Shonin.
 Although it is located on the shore of Lake Kawaguchi, which is crowded with tourists, it is located in a groves on a hill and has a quiet atmosphere.
 In 1269 (6th year of Bunei), Nichiren Jonin visited this place after praying for national security at Mt. Is the beginning, and after many transitions, there is today's "Myohoji".
 In particular, "Myohojiki", which is a record of about 100 years during the Warring States period, describes the living conditions, war, weather, natural disasters, etc. at the foot of Mt. Fuji, and is a valuable resource for studying the history of the Middle Ages in Japan.
 It seems that Jiro Nitta's "Novel Takeda Shingen" also referred to this material.
 In the precincts, there are many attractions such as the "Mari Stage" where village plays were performed until recent years, the "Monument of the Flower Shade" by the poet Omura, and the "Kuri" where a private house from the Edo period was relocated.
(Source: Fujikawaguchiko Furusato Guide Association Homepage)
Back to TOP